Are you just starting out on a quest for better health and wellness? If so, you might be struggling to figure out where to begin. It can be overwhelming to make sense of all the information out there about how to live a healthy life.
The good news is that you don’t need to have it all figured out before starting. There are many simple things you can do that will make a difference. And with each small step you take, you’ll gain confidence to keep moving forward.
Here are 15 effortless ways to get started right now:
- Switch from margarine to butter or ghee. Unlike margarine, butter and ghee are all-natural and contain healthy fat. Products from grass-fed cows have the highest nutritional content, so buy those when possible. [1,2]
- Change your cooking oil. If you’re using canola or vegetable oil, stop! Coconut or avocado oil are far more nutritious and stable at high heat. Extra virgin olive oil is a great choice for dressings and marinades and low heat cooking.
- Check your pantry for anything with high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils. Toss anything you find. Both are nutritional bad news.
- Stop drinking soda. Substitute something healthier like tea, kombucha or water to fill the void.
- Try a vegetable you’ve never had before. Head to the store, buy something that looks interesting and find a recipe for it online. You might discover a new favorite!
- Go for a walk. It requires no special equipment, it’s effective, and it’s fun! Walking is a great way to get going if you’re new to exercising or coming back from a break.
- Find an exercise challenge online. Google “exercise challenges for beginners” for lots of fun options.
- Get a Fitbit or another type of step tracker. Start with a goal of 10,000 steps per day. You might be surprised at how motivating these little devices can be!
- Check out YouTube for beginner exercise videos. You’re sure to find something that appeals to you.
- Try a “Couch to 5k” running plan. This one from Cool Running is great!
**Always be sure to check with your doctor before starting an exercise program.
- Meditate. Sitting quietly and clearing your mind gives you a break from your busy life and allows you to recharge. Aim for 5-10 minutes a day to get started. If you’re new to meditating, click here for my list of free apps to guide you.
- Put something fun or relaxing on your schedule. Planning for it makes it more likely that you’ll do it, and it gives you something to look forward to. Pencil in spending time with family, a walk, a massage, time to sit and read, or whatever sounds best to you!
- Get outside – go for a hike, a walk, or simply relax and enjoy! Studies show that spending time in nature makes you happier. 
- Pursue a hobby. Taking time out to play is vital to our wellbeing.
- Get creative! Head to your local craft store for ideas if you’re not sure what you would enjoy. It’s a great way to reduce stress and increase happiness.
The path to health and wellness may seem unclear at first, but with small steps, you’ll be heading in the right direction in no time. You can try any (or all!) of these techniques right now to start making a difference.
If you’re interested in joining a fantastic online health and fitness community, check out Fitlandia! Click here for a free trial to access Mind Zoning for meditation, the Whole9 guide for nutritional support, and a library of 450+ videos for exercise. (Disclosure: affiliate link).