I love tuna salad for its protein-packed simplicity. There are many different ways to make it, but this recipe is my current favorite.
The secret ingredient? French fried onions! They add a little crunch and great flavor. The ingredient list for the Trader Joe’s brand is simple: onions, vegetable oil, and wheat flour. I try to avoid vegetable oil most of the time (I prefer nutritious oils like olive, avocado or coconut) but since a few sprinkled on top is all you need, I’m willing to make an exception for this recipe.
Secret Ingredient Tuna Salad
- 2 cans water packed albacore tuna
- 1-2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/2 can sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. homemade or Primal Kitchen mayo
- Flavor God Garlic Lovers seasoning (or seasoning blend of choice) to taste
- French fried onions – preferably Trader Joe’s Gourmet Fried Onion Pieces
Mix the tuna, celery, water chestnuts, seasonings and mayo until combined. Scoop desired amount into a bowl or serve over greens. Sprinkle with french fried onions.
Feel free to experiment with the amount of celery, water chestnuts and mayo.